Can a Tree Recover From Bark Damage?

Have you ever noticed a tree in your yard with damaged bark and wondered, “Can a tree recover from bark damage?” You’re not alone. At ECO Tree Experts, we understand your concerns and are here to guide you through the process of tree recovery. In this guide, ECO Tree Experts will explain how a tree can recover from bark damage. If you’re facing severe tree damage, don’t hesitate to reach out to our tree removal experts in West Palm Beach.

Understanding the Importance of Tree Bark

The bark is a part of the tree that is akin to our skin, providing a protective barrier against various hazards like extreme weather or physical damage. It houses some of the tree’s connective tissue, which aids in transporting food and water. When a tree is wounded, it doesn’t heal like before. Instead, it seals off the damaged area by forming a callus-like tissue around the wound’s edges. New wood grows around the wound, creating a protective layer to prevent pests and diseases from infiltrating the newly formed tissue.

Assessing the Extent of Bark Damage

Before you can help a tree recover, it’s crucial to assess the extent of the bark damage. If the damage constitutes no more than 25% of the tree, it stands a good chance of survival. Damage exceeding 25% but less than 50% could result in a weaker tree with a less lush canopy. If the damage covers over 50% of the tree, the survival odds are low, and professional intervention may be necessary.

Steps to Help a Tree Recover From Bark Damage

If your tree has only been mildly damaged, you can take some measures to help the tree seal the area, preventing the spread of any tree fungi, bacteria, or other harmful invaders:

  1. Clean the Damaged Area: Remove any loose bark. It is usually best to call in a professional to help with this step. 
  2. Fertilize Your Tree: After any injury, give your tree an extra dose of nutrients to promote its overall health. Choose the best fertilizer based on an NPK value (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium). Each tree will have different needs, so do your research before buying.

Preventing Future Bark Damage

Prevention is always better than cure. To avoid future bark damage, consider wrapping your tree’s trunks with wire mesh if you live in an area with underground critters like gophers and rabbits. Prevent nicks and scrapes from lawn equipment by planting ground-cover plants or placing mulch around the base of the tree.

ECO Tree Experts: Your Partner in Tree Care

So, can a tree recover from bark damage? Yes, with the right care and attention, a tree can recover from bark damage. At ECO Tree Experts, we’re dedicated to helping you understand and care for your trees. We can help you identify signs a tree needs to be removed and provide expert advice on tree care. Learn more about if tree paint can help with damaged bark and more. Remember, when it comes to tree care in West Palm Beach, FL, you can always count on ECO Tree Experts. Call us today at 833-321-TREE.