How to Save a Tree with Stripped Bark in Stuart, FL

Some tree species naturally shed their bark as they grow, but for most trees, peeling bark points to a damaged or diseased tree that needs help. Knowing a few tree bark restoration methods can help initiate the healing process that will restore the tree to optimal health. Do you know how to save a tree with stripped bark?  

As Stuart’s top-notch tree service, the ECO Tree Experts crew explores a few tips on saving a tree with damaged bark. Keep reading to learn a few bark repair techniques for trees.  

Assess the Damage  

Before anything, check the extent of the damage. If the damage covers less than 25% of the tree’s bark, the affected tree has a high chance of survival. A tree with damage covering between 25% and 50% of the bark will require proper wound care to survive.   

However, a tree with damage covering more than 50% of its bark has extremely low chances of survival. A certified arborist may help the tree recover but they’ll probably recommend tree removal for safety reasons.  

Bark Tracing Method  

Ragged bark from a tree wound can slow down or even stall the wound-healing process. The uneven bark may continue to rip and cause further damage. Bark tracing helps to speed up the healing process by creating a smooth rim to replace the uneven one.  

Using a chisel and hammer, simply cut away the jagged bark. Remove any loose bark surrounding the wound and ensure you don’t cause further damage by chiseling into the wound. Cut the bark into a round shape to help the wound heal faster.  

Replacing Detached Bark  

Learning how to save a tree with stripped bark doesn’t have to be complex. If you notice large chunks of bark peeling from the tree but still hanging in place, you can simply reattach them. 

Start by cleaning the exposed wound with water, then carefully press the hanging bark pieces into place to cover the wound. Finally, wrap duct tape around the tree trunk to secure the bark in place. With this method, the bark can take a couple of months or longer to reattach.  

Bridge Grafting Method  

Preserving trees with stripped bark with this technique requires you to create a repair graft (bridge graft) to reestablish the connection between the roots and leaves.   

  • Start by cleaning the wound, then expose some fresh cambium.   
  • Next, insert scion wood with healthy buds across the wound to connect healthy tissue on either side of the wound.   
  • Finally, secure the graft in place with grafting tape or wax and let it heal and grow together.  

The bridge gives the tree enough time to seal the wound and grow new tissues around it. While you can perform this advanced repair yourself, leaving the job to a professional may increase your chances of success.  

You typically can’t know for sure if the bridge grafting method will work. However, like other tree trunk protection strategies, this technique improves the chances of reviving trees with bark loss. You’ll know the technique has worked when the tree sprouts new leaves and the canopy grows back.  

Trust Your Local Tree Care Experts  

Do you need help from tree care experts who care? Now that you know how to save a tree with stripped bark, you can act quickly to save your tree. Count on ECO Tree Experts for all your tree care needs. Our seasoned crew specializes in various services, including:  

  • 24-Hour Emergency Tree Service  
  • Tree removal and stump grinding  
  • Tree trimming and pruning  
  • Tree healthcare consulting  

Call ECO Tree Experts at (833) 321-TREE to request a free quote for tree services in Stuart, Florida, or nearby. Reach out to learn about damaged bark recovery.